Sunday, February 14, 2010

Guard your Lips?


He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.
Proverbs 13: 3

Do you believe that proverb?

Have you ever seen the results of a harshly spoken word?

Perhaps you've been on the receiving side of a hurtful comment, bitter gossip, or cross words. Or maybe you were the one who spoke the words that couldn't be retrieved. That crossed the line of bitterness into a world of destruction and pain for someone you cared about.

If you're like me you've been both the receiver and unfortunately, in my earlier days, the deliverer of comments, harsh truths, and hurtfulness. Often times, I thought my words were spoken in honesty, frankness, and truth, and although that may be true, as I look back I realize that I should have tempered much of what I said through God's heart and love.

I remember reading in scripture the words that Christ spoke. At times, when He dealt with the Sadducees and Pharisees...He was more than frank, He was trying to wake them up...make them realize their need for salvation and the distortion of their religious ways.

There are times when we need to "shake" people out of their stupor...but it should always be done in the light of God's love and grace.

As my Mom used to say..."tick a lock"...if you have any question in your mind whether you should or should not say a certain thing. It's important to keep others hearts and hurts in mind.

God gives us these warnings for a reason; and when you look back at your own life you'll realize the need to hear and obey His instructions and warnings. Pray for guidance as you deal with others...and seek discernment as you share.

God bless you and "tick a lock" :)

Blessings and warmth,

Colleen









1 comment:

  1. Nice blog & good post. You have beautifully maintained, you must try this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    ReplyDelete